There are 45km of cross country ski trails around the Gastein Valley plus when it goes dark, there are the floodlit trails in Bad Gastein-Böckstein and in the Kurpark of Bad Hofgastein. For something a little different, you could venture out to the Dachstein-Glacier near Schladming where you can try cross-country skiing at 2700m on 18km of trails!
For snowboarders, there is a terrain park and 3 half pipes.
Off the slopes
- Ice skating
- 100km of winter walking and snow shoeing trails
- Fitness center
- Tobogganing on a 2.5km floodlit course - great fun
If you are travelling with a young family, children are well looked after in Bad Gastein with a dedicated children's ski area at the base of the Dorfgastein lifts.
Featured ski chalets & apartments
Bad Gastein Accommodation
The valley hosts 4 villages - Bad Gastein, Bad Hofgastein, Dorfgastein and Sportgastein. Bad Gastein is the largest and is a lively ski resort and always popular with tourists. If you stay in the centre, especially near to the train station, everything you need is on your doorstep from bars, restaurants and shops to the spa hotels.
However, given that the resort straddles a steep sided gorge, there are many hilly roads which aren't too much fun in ski boots carrying skis especially if you're accommodation is on the opposite side of the george to the ski lifts!
Our view on Bad Gastein
Bad Gastein is brilliant for ski holidays in winter and has a growing reputation for being great fun on and off the piste especially if you are a non-skier with so many spas to relax in. A few suggestions...
- Definitely worth experiencing is a walk along the 140m long footbridge on the Stubnerkogel, 28m above the ground and, at 2400m, is Europe's highest suspension bridge
- Take the lify up to the "Glocknerblick" lookout platform that gives you panoramic views of the surrounding peaks and valleys
- Take a hike to the Grawa waterfall 15km from the village. It is one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Austria near the Grawa mountain hut and perfect for ice climbing during the winter
If you like skiing in Bad Gastein, you may also want to look at the resorts in the Ziller Valley including...